Top tips to consider before selecting an Implantologist.30th October 2017
- Experience: Ask how many years experience the dentist has and how many implants he/she has placed, request testimonials if possible.
- Qualifications and training: Some dentists can do a course for implants in just one weekend.
- Check the make and quality of implants: Have they any evidence of long-term success rate. A few successful and well-known companies are for example Astra, Straumann, Ankylose, Nobel Biocare.
- Implant company background: Recently new implant companies have reached the market. Check these companies have evidence, as some are even made in the Far East. Like other companies, they start up and close down. At The Gallery, Dr Balaji has seen some patients who have previously had these implants which have failed. Due to the unawareness of the company, there was nothing that could be done for them apart from new implants.
- Does the dentist offer guarantees? Is your dentist willing to give you a guarantee and are they going to replace it for free if the implant fails?
- Is the dentist or surgeon local? Check if he/she is just visiting, as you need to guarantee if something was to go wrong someone will know how to treat you in the long term.
- Cheap is not always a good option: All of the aforementioned points should be considered before making your decision. Would you really want to go through this expensive surgical procedure again? The recent PPI Breast Implants scandal is a worrying example.
- Quality of implant crowns: Implant crowns need to be well made to fit the implant, ensure the teeth suit your bite and look as natural to your smile as possible